Showing posts with label waiting. Show all posts
Showing posts with label waiting. Show all posts

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sorry for the delay...

I wish I had better news, but we are still looking for a place to rent to open our café.  We are definitely happy we didn't get into the other place, but it has been stressful to think of the things we would have faced if we had sign with them.  On the other hand, there are a couple of places that are actually better, with better locations...  We just need to find that place that matches our budget and allow us to do what we want.

In the meantime, summer is hot in NYC, and one early morning I got some nice view... my AC was not working and getting out was the best thing I did...

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Like dealing with a used-car salesman....

Well, things are very uncertain at this point.  To open the café we need to get a place that is appropriate.  I think we found it, We've been planning around the place, we've been there few times taking pictures, measurements, we've chosen the paint color for the walls, the fabric for the chairs, the color for the carpet... we've been negotiating the lease, we talked and talked, been back and forth, and we still don't know for sure if we will be approved to take the lease!  What we negotiated at some point is now being knocked out by new little details.  It feels like we are buying a used car at one of those dealers that makes you feel you are getting a great deal on the price, and then turns out that there a million charges that were not on the initial price.
I remember a comedian explaining about a $2,000 car with leather seats, AM/FM Stereo, CD Player, Antilock Breaks, powered doors and windows, and really great smell of "new"... but he had to pay $12,000 extra if he actually wanted the car to go around, because the $2,000 model did not include steering wheel, motor, tires or mirrors... those were "extras"...
So, as much as we want to open the cafe and move forward, we still don't know when will this happen.  Everything is still in waiting.  I'm glad I haven't rent a place in Richmond yet.



Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Waiting, again...

Well, I sent all the documents that the leasing company required, we are "ready to go" on our side, but we haven't heard from them yet if we are approved or not.  We are thinking in a positive way, since we are guessing that they rather have us than nobody renting their space, but until there is a definitive answer, we can't be too sure of that!
In the mean time, we continue preparations.  We have already collected few resumes that look promising. Some are impressive, but I don't think we'll be able to afford those people. At least not now.  Maybe later when we open a high scale restaurant!  But there is still enough time for that.
Other than that, I spent Memorial Day at a friend's house for BBQ.  We had a pretty good time.  I thought that by now I would be already in Richmond getting ready for opening day...