Friday, March 12, 2010

Every journey starts with a single step

Here I was, in my bed thinking... I really hate my job!  I need to do something different! I've been talking to Ina many times, about having a café where she can sell her cakes, (which by the way are incredible), and as always, I would end up saying "just let me win the lottery and we'll do it".
Turns out that winning the lottery requires a lot more than 1 dollar and a dream.  Dreams are very cheap, and very abundant when you are making very little money for a job that you don't enjoy anymore.
So, one night without even buying my regular Mega Millions ticket, I started to write down a menu for the cafe, how much would cost, and how much would I need to sell to be able to pay the rent and have some money too.  I spent the night awake, thinking of possible expenses, of what would I need to do, or better, what would "we" need to do to make the dream a reality.
The next morning I called Ina and we talked about it.  Let's open a cafe, where we can have some light menu, something like soup, salads, sandwiches and pizza, and make the desserts the highlight of the meal... because, again, I was just thinking of a way to sell Ina's cakes.
That was the first step! The moment we talked about it, the dream started to take shape, a shared dream with different visions, different colors and taste.
After that conversation, I spent the first $25 for the business in a couple of books I ordered from Amazon.com:  "Running a Restaurant for Dummies" and "Starting a Small Restaurant, Revised Edition"
That was on February 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment