Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mastering Coffee

 
Ok, here's the deal...  apparently I make a pretty good coffee, or so they have told me.  I don't know, because I don't drink coffee, I don't like it.  But I think I need to learn about coffee, and taste the difference between every style.  So, starting tomorrow, I'm hunting down the closest Starbucks, and tasting their over priced variations.
Coffee is going to be an important part in our place.  People like desserts and coffee, and just grabbing a cup of coffee at any moment, might get people to buy something else too.
That and the fact that Ina told me that I would be in charge of the coffee, is something that I am definitely looking forward to do.  But I need to find out those differences in between every style.

3 comments:

  1. Oh don't start with Starbucks. Starbucks is nasty strong and not really an indicator of good coffee. In my opinion anyway. I'd say try Caribou Coffee or Seattle's Best, or a local independent coffee shop that serves a variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starbucks is actually comparable to Rostov's in pricing but not in quality--there is no way you can compare the 2-6 month-old beans at Starbucks (packaged) with the same-day to week-old product at Rostov's.

    Personally, I think the measure of a good maker of coffee is whether they can make, with just a filter, funnel and cup, coffee that is better than a moderately expensive filter machine (I.e. not a clover.)

    From there you can take the water temp/ground size/time of exposure formula and modify it for the french press

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lola and Virile Nagalingam:

    Thank you both for your observations about Starbucks coffee. I was thinking that since there are so many of them, there might be a reason... I haven't been there yet, I feel like "dreading" the moment to drink coffee! It's weird! LOL!
    I will try to make myself a coffee "connaisseur".
    And thank you for visiting! Please tell a friend... (I'm getting used to the lingo of working on retail)

    ReplyDelete